If you are having trouble finding a good topic for an informative speech, don’t worry as you’re at the right place. We will provide you with not only interesting topics, but also with a few tips on how to go about selecting it.
An informative speech is one where you give the audience some knowledge or information about a subject. The main purpose of an informative speech is to educate or enhance the knowledge base of the audience. Apart from this, it is also a helpful tool to practice your own researching and speaking skills. If you are able to gain a complete knowledge of a particular subject, then you will be able to convince your audience.
Strategies for Finding an Effective Topic
Choose a topic that you know best
The basic method of going about looking for a good topic for an informative speech is to choose what you know best. Make a list of things that interest you to begin with. Narrow down to a particular topic by choosing the one that you already know a lot about and are curious to know more. Do a thorough research of the subject to give yourself a complete understanding of it. Giving examples of your own past experiences will be an added advantage, as you might be successful in connecting with the audience on a professional as well as a personal level.
Choose a topic that would cater to your audience
You must choose a topic depending on the audience that you have to face. Knowing your audience is very essential to successfully achieve your goal of informative speech and to maintain their interest throughout your speech. In addition to this, make sure you avoid topics that are controversial, as you might end up favoring one side and neglecting the other. In such a case, the audience might get offended or might not be fully satisfied with your speech.
List of a Few Interesting Topics
Here is a list of some general and specific informative speech ideas that you can develop upon:
- Internet advertising
- Gun control
- The early life of Julius Caesar
- Movies such as ‘Casablanca’ and ‘Love Story’
- All-time favorite books like ‘Emma’ and ‘Dune’
- Fantasy books like ‘Lord of the Rings’ and ‘Harry Potter’
- ‘What would I do if I had a million dollars?’
- Business ideas – ‘5 Tips for marketing your detergent soap’
- Famous bands such as ‘The Beatles’ and ‘The Eagles’
- The latest discovery – ‘Higgs Boson’
- ‘Super Earth’ and its existence
- The life of Steve Jobs and his inventions
- The Olympics
- Describing a place of interest
- Barack Obama’s journey to Presidency
- Extinction of different animals
- French Revolution
- Cinema today
- Drinking worse than ecstasy
- How important is breakfast
- Dark chocolate helps with emotional stress
- Tips to plan a perfect picnic
- Global warming and its effects
- Learning foreign languages and its advantages
- The history of brick-oven pizzas
- What is artificial intelligence
- The concept of human cloning
- Different types of phobias
- Making caramel popcorn at home
- Marvel Vs. DC Comics
- Benefits of yoga
- The life of Michael Jackson
- ‘I have a dream …’
- Animal rights and its enforcement
- Natural disasters
- Steroids and their use in important sports activities
- Japan tsunami in 2011 and its effects
- Decorating a Christmas tree
- Addiction of the Internet
- September 11 attack on the World Trade Center
- List of things to do in your spare time
- First female chancellor of Germany – Angela Merkel
- Biggest blockbuster of all time
- Poverty in Africa
- NASA and its achievements
- Advances in medical research
- The arguments for and against nuclear energy
Once you have chosen a topic of your choice, the next step would be to begin preparing the speech. Remember, whatever topic you choose, make sure that you know your topic well.
Tips for Writing a Good Speech and Presenting It
Choosing a topic is only the first step. Conducting a thorough research on the subject is of vital importance. Since your basic goal is to provide information through your speech, you must know the subject well yourself. Gather information from all possible sources like books, Internet, etc.
Once you have gathered all the information, make sure you arrange it in a sequential manner. You can divide your speech into three parts – introduction, body and conclusion.
Presenting your speech to the audience
To deliver a good speech, there are things to consider such as body language, eye contact, posture and so on. Indulging your audience in your speech with interesting facts and a good presentation of the speech is very important. Make sure that you speak enthusiastically and confidently. Confidence helps in convincing the audience that you know your subject well. Emphasize on all the points slowly and clearly, but at the same time, keep the time limit in mind while you speak so that you don’t linger on a topic for too long. Plan your speech accordingly and follow the plan to ensure an effective presentation as well. Interacting with the audience and encouraging questions can be a good way to end your speech.
Keep it simple, but interesting; short, but informative and you will be successful in delivering a good informative speech.